Laura Jewell is a staff writer for Girls in Capes living in Chicago. Her interests span literature, television, and film. Her favorite authors include the Bronte sisters, Haruki Murakami, and Tom Robbins. She is a proud member of many fandoms, including Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Firefly, and Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. Her favorite movie is The Princess Bride.
Laura graduated from Miami University with a BA in theatre and has been working as an actor in Chicago since 2013. Recent favorite roles include Leah in The Dybbuk and Lydie Hickman in Lydie Breeze. She is also a student of improv and sketch comedy at the Second City Training Center.
She is the co-founder and Artistic Director of a theatre company called Crowded Bookshelf Dramatics that aims to inspire inclusive and open-minded thinking by performing literary works that confront societal conventions. Their first production will be a gender-blind interpretation of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night performing in September of 2015.
- 2016 Jan 25: My Father Will Hear About This Article
- 2015 Sep 25: Better Be – HUFFLEPUFF!
- 2015 Mar 08: It’s Levi-o-sa: How Hermione Granger Taught Me to Be Bossy
- 2016 Feb 10: Be Your Own Cleveland
- 2015 Oct 23: The Problem with Midnight in Paris
- 2015 Aug 24: Please Don’t Remake Indiana Jones
- 2015 Jun 12: Star-Cross’d Lovers: Romantic Relationships in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- 2015 May 27: The Commencement of the Companions: How Donna Noble is Left Behind
- 2015 Apr 20: What The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Says and Doesn’t Say