Lorraine Acevedo Franqui is a staff writer for Girls in Capes from Puerto Rico. She just graduated with degrees in Psychology and Literature and will soon begin post-graduate studies – as soon as she decides on what. She is an avid reader, particularly of Young Adult books which she devours at an alarming rate. Fantasy, horror, mystery, retellings and science fiction are her go-to favorite genres, but she indulges in everything that catches her attention.
She also reviews and comments on most of her readings through Goodreads under the name of Rayne. When she is not reading 3 or 4 books at the same time, she is worshipping everything related to The Legend of Zelda or Kingdom Hearts video games, discussing movies, series or mangas, or making up stories in her head.
Lorraine has had two non-fiction pieces on feminism and her own family history published on local e-magazines in Puerto Rico and has won local prizes for her short fiction, but her main focus is writing Young Adult fantasy. Her first article for Girls in Capes was titled “The Father Formula in Young Adult Lit” and was published on June 2013.
Find Lorraine online on Goodreads.
- 2015 Feb 27: Young Adult Love Triangle Fatigue
- 2014 Oct 13: Not Like Other Girls: Toxic Archetypes of Young Adult Literature
- 2014 May 30: The Mother Formula in YA
- 2014 Mar 26: Changing Capes: Young Adult, New Adult, and Womanhood
- 2014 Jan 10: Goodreads Battlefront: Lessons Learned from Reviewer-Author Altercations
- 2013 Dec 06: Harry Potter and The Greater Good
- 2013 Sep 20: REVIEW: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
- 2013 Jul 29: Home of the Brave: American Culture in Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic YA Fiction
- 2013 Jul 22: The Bombs Bursting in Air: America in The Hunger Games, Part II
- 2013 Jul 15: Land of the Free: America in Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic YA Fiction
- 2013 Jun 14: The Father Formula in Young Adult Literature
- 2014 Aug 29: Raised by a Television: Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers, Social Issues, and Growing Up
- 2014 Jun 13: “But I’m the Hero”: Everyone Loses when Women are Items & Rewards
- 2014 May 07: How Not to Treat a Mother
- 2014 Apr 29: They’re Not Just for Kids
- 2014 Mar 31: A Strong Independent Woman, Part III
- 2014 Mar 30: A Strong Independent Woman, Part II
- 2014 Mar 29: A Strong Independent Woman, Part I
- 2013 Sep 18: Celebrating our roots with Gloria and Modern Family
- 2014 Sept 26: Fight Like a Girl: The Female Wizards of Fairy Tail
- 2014 Feb 24: Our Favorite Things: Storm
- 2013 Nov 11: Different Ways Home: Orphans in Shounen and Shoujo manga
- 2013 Oct 21: The Gay & Lesbian Conundrum in Anime and Manga
- 2013 Sep 25: Bleach and Tite Kubo’s Love Letter to the Spanish Language
- 2013 Aug 12: Women of Naruto
- 2014 Jul 08: Hyrule’s Rich Cultural Diversity in the Legend of Zelda Franchise
- 2013 Aug 21: A History of Shadows: The Sheikah Tribe in The Legend of Zelda
- 2014 Jan 22: Villains Over Heroes